Saturday, May 5, 2012

I Hate Pretzels

I really should be doing homework right now.  I'm already going to be up until midnight as it is.  Why do I enjoy procrastinating so much?  Well, this story needed to be told, so here goes.

While in Peru we attended a birthday party for the grandson of one of the ladies we worked with.  As a gift, we printed out some pictures of the baby and mother to give them.  In order to do this, we loaded pictures onto my flash drive and then took it to a shop in Cajamarca.  The store owner charged me wayyyyy too much for the pictures and, as a result, Ricardo got into a little heated argument with him and told him we were never coming back to their store again.  That's all great, except about a week later I realized I left my flashdrive at the store....crap.  I figured it was long gone and the angry store owner probably snatched it for himself thinking "stupid American girl...muahahahahaha." 

About six weeks passed and one day, while we were near the store in Cajamarca, I decided to go back to the store and check to see if, by some miracle, my flashdrive was still there.  It has a few things on it that I really wanted, though nothing of so much importance I'd die without it.  To my utter surprise, the store owner had kept my flashdrive for over a month hidden behind a picture frame in the store!!!!  WOW.  I was soooooooo happy to have that little thing back.

Fast forward to today.

I'm sitting in the library, grimacing about all the assignments I need to finish and tests I need to study for when I go to get my flashdrive out of the bottom of my backpack.  Usually, I keep it in my purse, but sometimes I throw it in the front pocket since it's just as convenient.  I go to slide it open and put it in the computer but it's stuck.  It's usually a quick slide out but not even a strong push is doing anything.  I take a look inside and see a few little salt grains.  What the heck?!  So I start shaking the flash drive, thinking that I can shake out a few grains and everything will be well.  WRONG.  I practically shuck out an entire salt shaker of salt!  I got it to the point where I could slide it open and shut, but I could hear it grinding the grains inside.  If I hold it up to my ear, I can hear salt flying up and down. 

Where, you might ask, did this salt come from?  I think it's from the pretzels I've been snacking on the past week.  There must have been a hole in a bag one day and the salt all went and sat at the bottom of the pocket, right next to my flash drive.  I must have sounded pretty funny to the computer help desk people when they asked what they could help me with....

So now I have to take it to a store in town and see if they can salvage any of my information.  After all that I went through with it in Peru, a baggie of pretzels has to be it's downfall?!!? 

My life is so awesome.   

1 comment: