Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Candied Orange Peel

I know you all have missed my food blogs.  Heck, I've missed food blogs.  So here we go.  This semester I'm in a class entitled "Confectionery" and it's a blast!  I LOVE learning how to make truffles and caramel and all sorts of deliciousness.  The only problem is....I'm TERRIBLE at it.  I have not had a SINGLE thing turn out the first time I've made it.  It's kind of a downer haha  And it's even more stressful because it's just a block class, so I have to do all the work in half the time.  But at least it's fun :)  Here's a recipe for an easy (although slightly time consuming) treat.

Candied Orange Peel
2-3 thick skinned oranges
3 cups sugar
1 1/2 TBSP orange extract
1/2 TBSP water

1) Cut the ends off the oranges and then cut into eight slices
2) Cut the center part out of the orange, leaving about 1/2 inch attached to the skin.
3) Cut the chunks into thin strips and put in large pot of water.
4) Cook over medium heat and bring to a boil for five minutes.  Strain, and then repeat twice more with cold water.
5) After third boil, strain oranges and peel off anything still attached to the skins.  

6)  Put the skins in a large skillet. Add 1 1/2 cups sugar, extract and water.  Mix well.
7)  Cook over low heat for about an hour.
8)  While cooking, prepare a pan or sheet of waxed paper with other 1 1/2 cups of sugar.  When peel is done cooking, pour onto sugar and mix around, separating the peel individually.  Lay on waxed paper to cool.
9)  Optional: Dip ends in chocolate...which is never a bad idea.
This pic stolen off the internet...all others are mine.

ENJOY :)

No comments:

Post a Comment