Weird topic to blog about, I know...But it's been on my mind the last few days so I'm putting it out there!
It all started with me leaving work...or trying to leave work. I was on my way out the door when a coworker asked me if I ever thought about divorce. I told him that I didn't. I figure you can't go worrying about divorce because if you do then you're just waiting for it to happen or waiting for something to go wrong...even if it probably won't. You have to expect the best out of situations, not the worst. If I expect the worst, I will eventually get the worst. Does that even make sense? I'm not oblivious to the fact that people get divorced but I'm not going to go into a marriage worried that mine will end that way.
How did this subject even get brought up? A single mother of two came into the office wanting to get back into school because she was going through a divorce and needed a way to support her two daughters. When she got married I doubt she ever thought she would end up a single mother. She probably thought she was going to live happily ever after. Now her life has turned upside down. How does a marriage get to that point in such a short amount of time? I obviously have no idea.
Then we started thinking about all the divorces that happen on the BYUI campus. I doubt ANY of those couples think they'll end up divorced in a few years. They think they're completely in love and will be together forever. And yet, something goes wrong. I want to conduct a study. I want to see what the predictors are, if any, for a BYUI divorce. Is it the length of time a couple knows each other before marriage? The length of engagement? The age of the people involved? The number of past relationships? I have no idea. I just think it would be interesting. I also wonder what ends the marriages up here. Money? Misscommunication? Ignorance?
It was an interesting conversation. Then my roommate and I talked about it for another hour at home that night (procrastinating homework). It was fabulous!
No comments:
Post a Comment