Friday, May 6, 2011

Just My Type

Is there such a thing as having a "type?"  Like the type of person you'd be compatible with.  I always hear "he/ she is just not my type."  Does this even mean anything?  The more I think about it the more I think it's just an excuse to not like someone.  An excuse to let someone down easy when we aren't interested.  Sorry, you just aren't my type.

But who's to say we even know what our type actually is?  AND even if types exist, how can we be sure that a certain person is that specific type.  A type is just our perception of people.  So aren't we making people whatever type we want them to be?  I'll admit, I judge people.  I like to categorize people from the moment I meet them.  Sometimes this is a good thing (stranger danger, you know!).  Most of the time I'm sure it's a bad thing.

My type is probably what I've told myself it's going to be since I started making "future husband" lists when I was twelve.  All of those qualities I wanted created "my type".  So now if someone isn't exactly what I pictured I'd end up with they are automatically not my type.  How wrong is that?!  It's kind of prideful of me to think that at twelve years old I knew what I wanted...or what was best for me.  It's kind of prideful of anyone to think they know best, isn't it.  We don't know what's best for us.

What makes this worse is that people usually end up with their type.  Not because they actually have a type, but they never gave anyone else a chance.  I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.  It's just a thing right now.  Maybe all of those awkward couples I see on campus and wonder to myself "how the heck did those two people end up together?!" are the real heroes.  The ones who didn't care what type another person was.

Sadly "he's not my type" is not completely out of my vocabulary quite yet.  I'll try to keep an open mind if you promise to keep yours open though.      

No comments:

Post a Comment