Classes are so easy after suffering through last fall! I honestly can't complain about homework or class or anything. My two culinary classes are pretty stressful during lab times but there's not much homework associated with it. Besides those 6 hours during the week I don't worry much about them. The only class that's fairly difficult is my class on diseases because there is so much new information. The good thing is that I love learning it! It's a 90 minute class late in the afternoon but I rarely find myself staring at the clock watching the seconds tick by.
Time for a funny story...My first Culinary Fundamentals lab was a few weeks ago. I was doing a knife skills lab where I had to julienne carrots and cut some potatoes in cubes. Sounds easy, right? Well I spent an hour trying to get 15 carrot slices looking decent. When I thought I had done a pretty good job I had my professor come and check them. She bundled the carrots together and looked at the ends because they had to be square. The ones that weren't square she picked out. Then she flipped them over and did the same thing on the other side, picking out the ones that weren't square on the end. After she finished she handed me back TWO carrots. I spent an hour cutting and only got two good ones?!?! Sheesh! And that was only one of four things I needed to have passed off. Yeah, I was a little stressed after that. But I completed my tasks! You wouldn't believe how hard it is to cut five pieces of potato into the same size cubes. Try it. I dare you.
I have also learned how to cut up a whole chicken and make stock from it's bones! I doubt I'll ever make my own stock for home use but it was kind of fun to cut the chicken up. Thankfully I didn't have to pluck feathers or anything.
![]() |
| Ready to cook! (This was the day of the royal wedding so I wore my tiara to work as well...) |
I am almost done with my foundations classes now!! I'm taking two of them this semester and then I only have the capstone left in the fall. I'm trying to finish my associates degree by December so getting those out of the way has been my goal. The bad thing is that once those are done I will not have any easy classes left...just upper division major and minor ones. The good thing is that I won't have any of them left and get to take classes that are interesting and applicable to what I enjoy.
Ahhhhhhh school. I actually have missed you and I actually do enjoy you...most of the time.
Because it's Sunday I feel like I should write something spiritual as well. A few weeks ago I started reading The Miracle of Forgiveness by the former president of the LDS church, Spencer W. Kimball. I've always heard how great the book is and have wanted to read it for quite a few years but never found the time. Then, for one of my classes I had the opportunity to set a goal and I made reading the book part of it. Now I don't have to feel like I'm taking homework time to read a book because it's homework too! So far I have enjoyed it immensely and have learned bucketloads. I would highly recommend it and I'm sure by the time I actually finish the book my recommendation will be even higher.
Life is so good :)

It's fun to read your blog, Abby. I rode to stake conference with your parents yesterday. Your dad asked me if I'd ever read your blog, and after hearing all the good things they were saying about you, I decided I should. It sounds like life really is good. I'm so glad that you're loving school and having such a great time. You're an amazing person, Abby. I feel so blessed to know you!
ReplyDelete