Sunday, November 4, 2012

Half the Sky

Read it.  It will change your life.


I had to read this book for my Women's Health class this semester and I LOVED it.  Well, it was a love-hate relationship.  The first half made me feel physically ill (I'm not even joking) but despite that, I just couldn't stop reading!!  Constantly I would think to myself "how on earth did I get so lucky to have it so good?"  The stories of these women will tear your heart to pieces but they will also inspire you to do something amazing with your life.  I look at some of them and think "if they can overcome such a tragic life, then certainly I can survive school."  It makes me want to be a better person and someone who is more aware of others needs.  It's something that is really hard for me to do with how much time school takes in my life right now. 

Also, if you don't want to read the book (if you're lame and against reading or something like that) there was a PBS documentary done on the book that came out at the beginning of October.  Here's a few clips from it that I found on youtube...

One of the trailers for the documentary.


Fistulas and the Edna Adan Hospital

Sex Trafficking

Sooooo...you're going to go read it, right?
Side note:  I checked the book out from the library at the beginning of the semester and then when I went to renew it I couldn't because someone else had it on hold.  The problem is that our presentation on the book isn't until Monday so I'm paying 20 cents a day to keep the book...I think I'll have a $3.40 fine by the time I return it.  Totally worth it though.  And I am making a public apology to the person who's had the book on hold for a month and is just waiting for me to return it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment