Friday, February 18, 2011

Farewell, Sister Kadilyn!

By now I'm used to the guys leaving.  I've heard since I was twelve, and moved into a ward with eight boys my age, that one day they would all turn 19 and leave on their missions and I would miss them.  It took quite a while for me to believe it but, needless to say, it's true.  I've been preparing myself for years for the time when I'd be the only one left, when I'd go back to my home ward and wouldn't have any of them to sit next to in Sunday School or joke around with.  Sure, I miss them tons but I've always known it was going to happen.

On Wednesday my old roommate Kadi left on her own mission to Tempe, AZ and I couldn't be more thrilled for her.  I met Kadi in the fall of 2009 in a cooking class here at BYUI.  We didn't sit next to each other in class.  We weren't kitchen partners.  Heck, our kitchens were on the opposite sides of the room.  And yet, she would come and talk to me every once in a while at the beginning of class, or even during class.

One day I was talking to her about my plans for future semesters and brought up that I wasn't sure where I wanted to live in the Spring, just that I wanted to get out of the dorms.  Enthusiastically, she said "Come live with me!!"  I barely knew this girl and she was inviting me to come live with her!  But as I would soon learn, that's just the kind of person Kadi is.  We continued to talk every once in a while in class but I don't think I ever had more than a five minute conversation with her.  Then one day she invited me to a pool party at her roommate's house in Rigby with their apartment and her fhe brothers.  (just imagine being a first semester freshman and getting invited to a pool party at some house you don't know by some girl you barely knew...well some people might find that fun but not me!)  So I made up some excuse as to why I couldn't go.

Funny thing is, a few of those guys at that party would become my fhe brothers in the spring and some of her roommates would become my closest friends...all because of Kadi.  Obviously I did end up coming to live with her and I met some amazing people.  I found out later that Alexis (who I now room with) thought Kadi was crazy for 1) inviting a girl she barely knew to the party and 2) inviting a girl she barely knew to live with them.

I know Kadi will be an amazing missionary because she will talk to anyone and everyone.  I was quite surprised when I found out she had turned her papers in but so excited for her!  It's been hard to see her leave since I only had a few months to prepare myself instead of a few years but she's doing a good thing and will grow so much from the experience.  I can be honest in saying that there's a slight hint of jealousy inside me that she gets to have this adventure, but everyone takes different paths in live and only time will tell whether or not mine will lead me to the far corners of the earth.

Roommates Spring 2010
A roommate date!
When she opened her mission call
Last time seeing her :(

No comments:

Post a Comment