This past training was a little different. We got a little creative.
We split the group into two smaller groups. One came in another room with me and the other group stayed in the first room. The first room group did 20 minutes of the "boring training" while the other group and I had a little fun.
I assembled funny little sculptures ahead of time and handed one to each person. They then had 20 minutes to write instructions on how to assemble the sculpture from raw materials. They couldn't use pictures, only words. Here's what the two originals looked like...
After 20 minutes we had them switch rooms. Those who were writing instructions went and did boring training and the others came with me. They then got a bag full of raw materials and the instructions from the others and had 20 minutes to assemble them. This is what they came up with...
It was quite humorous. They were all similar but none were perfect. We had them all come up with ideas on how this applies to our office and they came up with some things that we hadn't even thought about. It doesn't do any good to try to describe those here but I think everyone walked away with a very practical view on why how we do what we do is important.
Also, please look at the above picture again. We have a whiteboard in the back room with funny things people have written in their entrance essays and the one in the middle says "The whole essay: I can solve a Rubiks cube in under 30 seconds." That's it. Their essay to get into college. They can solve a Rubiks cube in under 30 seconds. This is why I love my job. Today someone from Bangladesh emailed us a copy of a certificate showing that they achieved 3rd rank in the shot put.... not sure how that qualifies them for college but I sure am glad they want to come here!


No comments:
Post a Comment