I am
seriously, majorly, completely, missing my Peru kids right now. I just want to look at pictures and videos all night. Actually, I just picture this big reunion in my head with me surprising them at El Bichito and 30 kids all screaming and yelling my name and vying for my attention. It's a nice dream. Let me just remind you how incredibly adorable my ninos are.
 |
| Ester. We didn't see much of her, but the few times she came I just couldn't get enough of her! |
 |
| Luzelena and her brother/ cousin/ nephew/ some-sort-of-relative |
 |
| Erlita: She would play Chutes and Ladders everyday if we'd let her. |
 |
| Juan Carlos: The freaking BEST dancer you've ever seen. This kid can shake his hips like it's no one's business. |
 |
| I can't even remember her name, but it took me DAYS to get her to say anything to me. I LOVE this picture. |
 |
| Benjamin...o Jose?! |
 |
| Aurora: Occasionally dressed like the older peasant women. She was never far from any of us. A quite girl, but such a strong spirit and will. |
 |
| Alessandro: He wants to be a singer when he grows up. And he sure has the voice and moves to win over any lady. Oh, and just looks at those dimples! |
 |
| Milagros (her name means "miracle" in English): The most beautiful girl ever. She doesn't take a bad picture. Contagious smile. Terrible at the card game BLINK though... |
 |
| One of the happiest girls, although her eyes always made her look tired and sad. |
 |
| Sonja and Fredi. She was the best big sister to him...most of the time :) |
 |
| Eli, Damaris and Ester. |
 |
| I think we got a picture of the only time Fredi ever smiled! |
 |
| WHERE HAS THIS PICTURE BEEN HIDING?! Elmer's such a punk and to have a good picture of him makes me happy :) |
 |
| Rodrigo: The class clown so this picture is quite fitting. |
 |
| Marco: He's in his mid-twenties but suffers from polio and uses crutches to walk. He loves art projects and drawing. |
 |
| Antoni! This boy was always dirty and his pants were never fully pulled up but I never saw him without a smile. He's a little ball of energy and would yell at us from his house in the mornings. |
 |
| Christian and Luzelea. One of my favorite pictures of the entire trip. He looks like a little man and she took care of him like an older sister...although I think she was his aunt... |
 |
| Junior and Alberi. Alberi was the spoiled, fat child that we resented...but tried really really reaaaalllllyyyyy hard to love. He grew on us, but we had our moments of wanting to yell at him in angry Spanish. |
 |
| Keiko: The youngest of three kids. She had a sunburned face that was always cracking and her clothes were some of the dirtiest. I loved when she's curl up with me and read a book outside in the sun. |
 |
| Anna Maria: Best friend of Luzelena. Look how beautiful she is. She wrote us all some of the sweetest notes and was a girly girl. |
If you can
honestly say that you've met a cuter group of kids...you're lying. No one can say that.
Ever. These are the sweetest, most thoughtful, humble, absolutely amazing kids in the entire world. Sure, we grumbled over a few of them and we sometimes got tired of their endless yelling of our names and needing our attention in five places at once. But they gave me the best hugs I've ever had. They are what made Peru worth all the time and money and struggles.
I love this! Abigail we need to put a group together to go back to Banos someday. Thanks for sharing. Memories of this place are flooding back.
ReplyDelete