Monday, July 18, 2011

Lightning Strikes

It's only appropriate that I blog about Harry Potter.  It's all the rage you know.  I feel like my generation should be the Harry Potter generation.  We grew up with him.  I remember when I was so young that waiting until midnight for the next book was kind of a hard wait without falling asleep.  I was introduced to HP around 2nd grade when we started reading the first one aloud in class.  Slowly but surely I was converted and became a fan.  My brothers and I would have competitions to see who could read the books the fastest.  When a new one came out we each had a certain amount of time we were allotted before it was someone else's turn to read.  I think we bought two copies of the last few books so we wouldn't argue as much about who's turn it was.

I am also a huge fan of the movies.  I know that whatever they do can't do the books justice but all things considered I think they've done one heck of a job with them.  I haven't been disappointed in a single one!!  Part of the movies success has come from the fact that all of the main characters (besides Dumbledore) have remained the same.  We've watched them grow up.  During the last one I was noticing how Ginny is taller than Harry and it made me laugh.  But the producers wouldn't have known that was going to happen when they were cast.  I'm glad Harry's kind of a short guy who's nothing special.  It's Harry Potter.

I love the messages of the books, their intricacies, the characters you fall in love with, the cliffhangers, the blindsides, the backstabbing, the forgiveness, and everything about them.  J.K. Rowling may be richer than the Queen of England and I say "rock on!"  She deserves it.  Her idea created not just some one-hit-wonder but a phenomenon that has lasted a generation.  I'm asking for the books for my wedding.  My children will be forced to read them and then they'll love them on their own.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.  ~J.K. Rowling, "The Mirror of Erised," Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

1 comment:

  1. I just read to where I left off in May. You have a great blog, Abby. Thanks for sharing it with everyone. I also am noticing a Blake that is appearing all over your facebook and in your blog. It sounds like things are really going well. I'm excited for you, Abby.

    ReplyDelete