Sunday, January 30, 2011

How an unhappy post became happy

It's definitely good to "sleep on it" after having a rough day.  For some reason, things are so much more positive in the morning, or even a few hours after whatever disaster just happened.  This happened yesterday.  I had so many things that I wanted to rant about and vent but decided I was not in the right state of mind for blogging and might regret something that I said.  I had already said too much out loud that was probably not the smartest or nicest things.

I've never really had the impression to read from the scriptures before.  Now that sounds weird, I know.  I can't exactly put to words what I mean by that.  But I was in kind of a rotten mood and I had the impression that I should just go read my scriptures...so I did.  I started by reading in Hosea because that's part of my assigned reading for my Old Testament class but after reading a chapter I felt like it was doing me very little good and that I needed to go elsewhere.  Off I went!  I flipped in the Book of Mormon to 3 Nephi 11-12 (For any who are unaware, the Book of Mormon is Another Testament of Jesus Christ and it is a record of the people in the Americas and takes place about the same time as the Bible.  We do not believe that it replaces the Bible in any sense, but only adds to our understanding of it.  3 Nephi chapters 11-26 are the record of when Christ visited the American continent after his resurrection and contain many things that he taught the people.  Most of the doctrines and principles are the same as those he taught to his apostles in the Old World.).  Ever since being in the Hill Cumorah Pageant, these chapters have become some of my favorites and I understand them more and more.  Boy were they the perfect verses for me to read.  Since this is a happy post, unlike what was going to be posted last night, I don't feel the need to write about what exactly touched me in those words due to the situation I was in BUT it did provide me with new insights and new attitudes that I need to apply in my life.

I am so thankful that I live in a time where I can pick up the scriptures whenever I want and I can read and understand them for myself.  I don't have to rely on a priest, bishop, or televangelist to tell me what Christ taught his people or how I should be living my life.  I readily admit that I don't know a majority of the facts and history and stories of the Bible, but I know that the words and doctrines it teaches are true.  Christ did live.  He is God's son and works in harmony with him, although they are two separate and distinct beings.  Christ died for the sins and sorrows of the world, which includes all of my sins and sorrows.  He would have done it even if I was the only one on the earth because he knows me personally and loves me.

I know that the Book of Mormon truly is Another Testament of Jesus Christ.  The people and events in that book are real and true.  Joseph Smith was a prophet of God and he translated the Book of Mormon for our understanding and restored the gospel of Jesus Christ in it's fullness today.  Thousands of years ago, God loved the people so much that he sent them prophets to teach them and call them to repentance.  I know that God loves us just as much today!  And we have a living prophet on the earth today that will teach us those things we need to know to return to live with our Heavenly Father again for eternity.  This is the last dispensation and the fullness of times and the Lord will not allow for the fullness of the gospel to leave the earth again.  We are waging a war this very moment against all the powers of Satan and his minions and we will come off the victor.

As Christ appeared in the Old World AND in the New World, he will appear again.  I hope that at that day I am ready to greet him with open arms.  I will not be one to shrink in the corner, wastefully wishing I had done more.  I want to run to the open arms of the man that atoned for my sins.  I will call him my brother because I know him and he will call me by name because he knows me.  What a happy day it will be!        

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for that wonderful testimony Abigail! I really liked how you said that Christ would had atoned for you even if you were the only one on the earth, because he KNOWS you. I never thought of it in that sense. I am sorry things were bad, but the scripture truly are a testament of Christ and I am glad you had an impression to read them.

    ReplyDelete