Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Every so Often...

Every so often you make a small, little decision that ends up impacting the rest of your life.  Most of the time we don't even know what these little decisions are until months or years later, and sometimes we never know.  It's interesting to look back at your life and pinpoint those decisions that made such a big difference.  It's also interesting to have someone else point them out for you. 

This may have happened to me late last night.

It's Peru, and Noelle, Brittany and I had some girl talk where we were able to get to know each other a little better.  I loved talking with them and I know we're going to be great friends by the end of this.  We were actually laughing at how well things were going and how we work perfect together even though we've lived together less than a week.  Anyways, a lot has happened this past year and a lot of decisions were made.  There are so many stories that I've laughed at with roommates over the past few semesters that I thought were JUST funny stories.  Things that happen that can't be written on a blog for sheer embarrassment purposes.  Turns out (since Noelle and I know many of the same people), at least one of these unmentionable stories was one of those little decisions.  Had I done/ said something different in that one moment, my whole year could have changed.

Now, I wouldn't change this past year for anything.  I loved (most) all the ups and downs and I've definitely learned and grown from every experience.  But "what if's" are sometimes fun to think about and this one has had me thinking.

I wish that at the end of my life I could look back and see exactly the decisions that got me to where I was, and the places I could have been had I done something different.  I mean, by now I could have been married, flunked out of school, never even finished high school and living under some bridge, gallivanting through Europe, studying at Harvard, starring in the next major motion picture opposite Zac Efron or living in an igloo...who really knows?!  I can't think about it too much though...it'll hurt my brain and that's already fried from this learning-a-new-language thing.     

2 comments:

  1. I want to know about that one moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one moment... ;) Maybe they have a "what if" video section in heaven where we can change our decisions just to see what would have happened. If they do, I'm definitely watching that one moment to see just how it would have changed your life. :)

    ReplyDelete